Watching Fox cover the Sox game today (I know, it hurts me too), the only benefit was a mention of Greg Harris. It made me think about Mr. Harris and some other great odd balls in Red Sox bullpens past. Here's a list. I have done next to no research to suplement this list with "facts", so feel free to pipe in if I made something up.
- Rich Garces - El Guopo. What else needs to be said? The man ATE poor Jin Ho Cho.
- Greg Harris - the man decided he could throw lefthanded. Not a bad thing, if he weren't righthanded.
- Matt Young - he caught the bizarre SteveSax-Knoblauch-MackeySasser syndrome. He could throw a ball rather well to home plate, but had a mental block against throwing it to first. Very weird. I think he also may have been part of a combine no-hitter.
- Dave McCarty - he was a firstbaseman with a 90 mph fastball.
- Ron Mahay - he made the Sox as an outfielder during the strike of 1995. He was an expansion player (and thus still not allowed in the players' union). Then, he started pitching and... he's really good. He has been a very good relief pitcher from 2000 until today. He was recently was traded to the Braves for the stretch run.
- Mike Maddox - Greg's brother. That's it. But still interesting.
- Bryce Florie - hit in the face with a line drive and never quite recovered.