Here are some random thoughts:
- I salute Julian Tavarez. He might not make the playoff roster even, but he started 22 games this year, usually gave us a chance to win, was entertaining and slightly insane/scary, petted Manny, and seemed to be blessed with a rubber arm. The man has thrown 131 innings so far this year and won 7 games, those numbers would put him second in both categories if he were still a teammate of Wily Mo Pena's (on the Gnats).
- Talk amongst yourselves; I'll give you a topic: I hate Royce Clayton.
- I'm still trying to figure out how the Sox might use Ellsbury in the playoffs. He's nastly and I can't wait for him to be the every day guy. But do you bench Coco for him? Do you put him in for Drew and have two speedsters out there? Do you really think he could steal the base today that Dave Roberts stole in game 4? No is the answer to the last one, in case you were wondering.
- Why does major league baseball hate Johnny Pesky? Does Theo Epstein hate Bud Selig's grandpa out of spite? If so, we're even.
- Where is Bobby Scales? I miss him.
- I pride myself on admitting my mistakes, and I'll do that when I come across one. But, in the meantime, I will admit that Jon Lester is pitching better then I'd thought. Yet, I don't know where or if he fits on the playoff roster. I think he's probably about done for this year.
- I'm glad Buchholz is sitting the rest of the year. It's tough because I want him out there, but I really do think it's best for the Sox and for him. He's too valuable to risk on these "structured innings". It's not like he's in a Joba the Hut role with us.
- It's odd to me that I don't trust Mini-Manny at the end of a big game. He's really been damn good, has insanely nasty stuff, and I just plain like him. I guess it's because he's young but I hope he can pair with Pap to be a dominant last two innings for the Sox a la Wettland-Rivera many years ago (remember back when Mo Rivera was the set up guy? Wow...)
- The Sox need to sign Lowell (the player, not the A ball team). They have a dearth of power prospects generally and no 3B prospects specifically (Jed Lowrie is a SS or 2B and has very little pop). The 2008 free agent pool is so shallow it's not worth swimming in. Wait, that's not true, we could sign Olmedo Saenz and move Youk the third. That would work. Or just sign Lowell damn it.