Here are some thoughts as I drink coffee watching game number one:
- Dice-K is obviously all over the place. It doesn't particularly worry me; though, of course, I'd love to see him pitching better. His change looks good, his cutter is sharp, his fastball is decent and his breaking stuff is in the wrong 郡 (county).
- A's top prospect, 22 year old firstbaseman Daric Barton is hitting third this morning. In and of itself, impressive for a kid, even though he's on a team that thinks that Emil Brown is a middle-of-the-lineup bat. Ouch. But, the more important thing about Mr. Barton is that he was born in the home of Bart Simpson: Springfield, Vermont. He went to high school in California so I'm not sure about his relationship with the Green Mountains. But, I think it's safe to say that if he succeeds in his MLB career, Vermont can take most of the credit. It's only fair.
- Josh Beckett was placed on the 15-Day DL and will be available April 3 in Toronto. I may have copied that directly of the ESPN2 ticker...
- Can anyone explain to me why the only fan shots I've seen during this game were of American-looking fans wearing Sox t-shirts? I would like to see what people in Japan wear to a game, eat at a game, etc. etc. Thanks ESPN. Thanks for stepping up in this cultural exposure opportunity.
- I miss J.D. Drew? Yes. I wish he were playing. I am big fan on Brandon Moss, but he's not the same kind of bat a Drew. The good thing is that the unique roster rules of this trip allow them to have Drew inactive then active for game 3 if they chose to do that.